Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Book Review: Fearless

I recently joined Blogging For Books and I received the book FEARLESS by Eric Blehm in exchange for my review. For those who don't know, I work for Barnes & Noble, so I had seen Adam Brown looking out at me from the cover of this book for months.
I thought, "just another book about SEAL Team SIX...not really interested..." because since Bin Laden was killed, there was such an oversaturation of SEAL Team SIX stories that I had gotten numb to any new exposure.

Then I read the description of the book and realized it was not the same old, same old.

Yes, this is a book about the Navy SEALs, but it is more a book about the power of faith. It is an inspirational story about a kid with tons of potential who veered off course after high school and was headed toward a drug overdose in a crack house, about as far away from 'Navy SEAL' as you can get on the spectrum. Through his faith combined with sheer determination and will, he escaped the life of drugs and reached the highest level of the armed forces, the elite Navy SEALs.

This could have been written about any SEAL, as they all have to go through the same qualifications to become a SEAL, but Adam was different. This guy was legendary even before his heroic death. The way his fellow SEALs and former commanders and instructors speak of him is so heartwarming, but also filled with laughter and amazement. He was known for giving more than 100% in whatever he did, whether on a mission as a SEAL, or in a pick up football game during a training exercise at Cowboys' Stadium, or collecting donations of shoes for Afghani children who had none. He even went house to house, writing down sizes to ensure that they all had footwear before winter--he never did anything halfway.

I learned a lot about what it takes to be a SEAL by reading this book; their toughness and focus is unparalelled. I am impressed with how they serve our country and proud to have them on our side. If you only have a vague idea of what they are all about you should read this book. The fact that it is balanced out by the inspirational part of the story makes it more entertaining if you are not a military buff.

If you have ever struggled with an addiction, this book will give you hope, without being a story strictly about addiction. If Adam could get over all of the hurdles that he faced, getting clean will seem like a walk in the park in comparison.

It is also a love story, but while that is a constant undercurrent,it is somewhat secondary. Adam's wife Kelley is the epitome of the phrase 'behind every great man is a great woman'. Her unwavering faith in Adam is amazing, and she is such a strong character that you would think she was the heroine in an epic novel. I feel like tracking her down just to give her a hug...

Finally, if you have a limited or non-existent belief in a Higher Power, this book will have you sprinting toward the nearest place of worship. At one point a fellow SEAL asks Adam how he can do what they do and be religious. "One, I'm spiritual, not religious," Adam replied."And two, I can't believe you can do what we do and not be."

There are multiple instances of prayers literally being answered, where there is no possible way Adam could accomplish something without devine intervention. I won't ruin it for you by sharing those incidents out of context here, but trust me, you won't have a doubt after letting FEARLESS into your life.

Even though I knew Adam didn't make it, I still cried like I had lost my best friend through the last 60 pages. Just when I thought that my tears would stop, something else would make the waterworks start again, so if you can't handle that, this may not be for you. If, like me, you like that cathartic release when you are emotionally drowning in a book, you will love this...no matter how puffy your eyes are the next day!

ps. Due to an order processing error at Blogging For Books, I have an extra copy of FEARLESS to give away. I have never given anything away on my blog before, so I don't have any good ideas about how to give it away. If you have any suggestions, please leave them in the comments section...:)

No comments:

Post a Comment